This brick building was erected in 1876 for the Primitive Methodist congregation of Brisbane, on a site in Brunswick Street acquired by The Corporation of the Primitive Methodist Connexion in 1875. It was the third Primitive Methodist Church erected in Brisbane. Plans for the new church were drawn by Brisbane architect Richard Gailey, who designed a substantial number of Protestant churches in Queensland in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Tenders for the Brunswick Street church were called in February 1876, and the contract was let to John Smith & Sons of Adelaide Street. Several foundation stones were laid on 1 March 1876, and the building was completed in about five and a half months at a cost of approximately £1,100, including fittings. The opening service was conducted on 24 September 1876. The Brunswick Street church became the centre of Primitive Methodism in Brisbane.
The building was extended in 1900, when a vestry and classroom were added at the rear of the building. These extensions were planned to commemorate the advent of the 20th century. Following from that in 1935-36, a timber hall was constructed at the rear of the property. In 1977 the congregation joined the Uniting Church and combined with the Fortitude Valley Presbyterian Church. The Brunswick Street church was required no longer, and was sold to the Queensland Potters Association in 1982. The Association refurbished the building and added a steel-framed mezzanine floor. In 1983 it opened the Potters Gallery on the premises to display and sell members' work.
The Queensland Potters Association occupied the church space until 2005 when a major project was undertaken to construct a new gallery building on street level with the church building above it. The new gallery opened in October 2008, after many difficulties; however, it closed in September 2010. The gallery building operated as a French bistro restaurant, Lady Lamington, for a period, before being sold in early 2014. It was then opened shortly after as a private art gallery, the Brisbane Modern Art Gallery - owned by none other than Mrs Emma Golder.
The next chapter…
In 2014 the property was purchased to it’s entirety and transformed into the beautiful venue space it is today. Pure Catering were lucky enough to cross paths with the owners of this beautiful space in 2016 when we were sourced to provide catering for a wedding there. The wedding was a huge success and our relationship with the Golders became a part of our every day operations. We signed the dotted line in September 2016 and since then we have been creating celebrations, weddings, parties and everything between. This space is our second home, we love it, and we love creating memories within it, and adding to the long and happy history of this gorgeous space.